Wednesday 19 December 2012

Back from Holidays

Well I have just returned from a couple of weeks in the Dominican Republic on my holidays it was a nice relaxing break in the sun shine, we have been so short of this year.

View from room window -there's a bit of thatch in this grass, it is bare root planted and growing away in a few days- "If only"


My square on return, it is a long way short of where it was last year at this time. I can honestly say my square has never looked so bad at this time of year so I have a fresh challenge in the New Year, to get it up to speed for the start of the season.

 This is a view of the bottom of the square, germination had just about taken place when more heavy rain came and pools formed and without the oxygen the young plants didn't survive. The top of the square is in a much better state.
It is no use panicking, when the weather warms up a little I will get some more seed in and hope for better things. "If only" I could pop a few bare root plants in?

I purchased a new small camera at the airport, which I am pleased with, the pictures above were taken with it. 
Today has been a catching up day one job I have done is to get as many of the keys -I had stolen-
re-cut, they cost me over £40-00 and I still have more to get cut when I can get hold of originals.

The weather forecast is for a lot of rain over the next few days, so I don't see me getting any further aeration work on cricket squares done over the next few days.

 What a Year 2012 has been a real challenge for Groundsmen.

Hospital checkup tomorrow, then out for a meal with my artist colleagues.
Not sure if I will be able to post again before Christmas so 

A Very Happy Christmas and all the Best for a more favourable New Year to all Groundsmen, Cricketers and Readers of this blog 
Thank you for your interest.
Hodgy

No comments:

Post a Comment