Tuesday 12 February 2013

Spare a Thought for Sessay Cricket Club

I haven't been very active on the ground for the last few days, I was down last Saturday fitting a new letter box and doing a little tidying up around the club house. One disappointing thing was that the fence which went up only the week before had been vandalised.




I understand if vandals want to do damage they will, no matter what measures you put in place but I do think the fence is a little on the "domestic" side so as I see it we need to beef it up some to make it harder for them.
Today Tuesday I went of up to Farndale on the North York Moors to collect a Sisis Lawnman I had bought on e-bay. When I was bidding I never realised it was 61 miles away so I spent a fortune in fuel and time. I did manage to call at Sessay Cricket Club on the way back as I had been talking to John Flintoff the groundsman at BTME back in January when he invited me to call in. 
Below are the photos I took and I have posted them all as I have never seen anything like it.

First are the photos of Farndale.





 My used Lawnman with a slitter attachment all I need now is a rake I have a brush.

Farndale famous for it daffodils, it is a lovely part of the world. I have never seen so many Pheasants and Partridge as I did today and the shooting season has just finished, they have left plenty of stock birds for breeding.






Spare a thought for Sessay Cricket Club I am told the ground has been under water almost consistently since September last year.

 Saturated outfield, that is just...... well mud.


 Just look how wet the outfield is every foot print is visible.


 The square still under water in parts.

Looking toward the clubhouse. In about nine weeks time Cricket is due to be played on this. 
They need a leg up and I hope the Cricket bodies they are affiliated to can give support.
Today when I arrived John and his crew were about a quarter of a mile away, digging out a drain they had traced and cleared to that point across local farmers fields.

 Just look how the grass on the outfield has died back due  to the lack of oxygen.


 Though the water has receded the surface is saturated because there is a layer of 25mm of thatch just holding on to the water like a sponge.




 The water is sitting in low spots on the square.







Not easy to see but there is a 25mm of thatch here below the top 30mm the soil is relatively dry.
Well no matter how badly off you think you are there is always some one worse off than you.
 If I can help them in any way I will I think I have started the ball rolling so time will tell.

I had a nice surprise when I got home because today is Shrove Tuesday or better known to me as 
Pancake Day  and after a warming stew I had my three Pancake a good way to end the day.
Keep smiling.
Hodgy

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete