Tuesday 20 November 2012

Spiking at Old Mods

Monday morning and its off to Old Mods (Modernians) in Cookridge Leeds to Spike their Cricket square.

It was dull but fair and quite windy -it is a very open facility- on my arrival.
This is a ground that I got scarified early and Dave the groundsman here did the seeding, top dressing, etc straight away. As a result he has a decent cover of grass looking rather good for this season.
Here you can see the lines where the wheels have flattened the grass into the softer loam at the ends, it will soon stand up again especially if we have a shower.


View looking back towards the clubhouse and scorebox.



A couple of photos of the results, thousands of holes 1/2"dia by 31/2" deep this will help the roots, exchange air, maybe help brake down fibre and allow any frost into the surface, which if it is severe enough will cause heave and that will help the soil structure.

I said the facility was open and this is the view looking towards West Park. I could see Almscliffe Crag
-though the camera was unable to pick it out- this is a local beauty spot. I remember studying it and painting it a few years back when I did my art A level.
By the time I got the job done and back to base it was raining so I did well for a change.
Happy days
Hodgy
PS my spell checker is not working sorry for any errors. Any one got any suggestions as to what can go wrong with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment