Sunday 3 March 2013

Loving the Weather

Well when I am getting reminders that I haven't updated for some time. It makes me think that having started this blog and kept up to it for getting on towards eighteen months now, carries responsibilities to the people who take the time to read my ramblings so to you I apologise.  Part of the reason for not posting is because I felt I was a little short of material I have had a frustrating week when the weather has been good, yet I feel I have not been able to take advantage of it on the ground.  
I don't want to bore you but it is the end of my VAT quarter and we have had a new central heating boiler fit at home.
Right lets get on with it now. Below are a few of photos of a visitor I had to my back garden.




He was just not phased by me he just sat down and looked at me yet I was only around 10 foot away from him.
Those who know me will know that I have been haunted by foxes throughout my groundsman career.
So this guy was just taking the proverbial.



We are still been hit by vandals at the Club this is the second time the new fence has been smashed. 
This last Saturday we have had a middle rail and larger nails fit to try and make it stronger so it is harder for them to break. 
Lets hope it is successful.
 Thursday I was off with my Artist colleagues  to visit the Hepworth  Art Gallery in Wakefield  well worth a visit. Why Leeds don,t  have the same vision toward art I don't know.  
I understand we were offered an Antony Gormley before Newcastle got the "Angel of the North"
and declined. No wonder people in the south think we have no culture.

Friday I got some time in on the ground and worked till it was dark below are the photos.

 Inside the "Hepworth" one of the temporary exhibitions by Jessica Jackson Hutchins.

Friday I cut the outfield for the first time since last September It had grown surprisingly little



 I also brushed the square with the Sisis Roto Rake to get out any leaves, pick up dead grass and general debris that had accumulated.




 By the time I had finished it was almost dark if you look in the back ground you can see how bright the house and street lights are.

Saturday there was a meeting a the the Club of a number of the 1st team their Skipper Andy Siddall a level 4  Cricket coach put them all through the  Briggs Myers personality test which is based on the teachings of 
Carl Jung the Swiss Psychotherapist. I hope it helps them with their game.
I also underwent the Personality test  too and it has now been confirmed once and for all that I am a "Grumpy Old Bugger" 
Thanks Mr. Jung.
I do understand the Jackson Pollock the American abstract expressionist -he of the drip paintings- was a follower of Carl Jung

 



 The first sign of activity, its been a long time.
 A few stretches.

I now need to start thinking about rolling as I don't want to miss the window the ground is drying out nicely now.
I have loved the weather recently hardly any rain a lot of cloud but when the sun is out you couldn't be at a better place than the "Field of Dreams" in the spring time.



Groundsman Tip:- If you have any weak areas or pitch ends get a bucket full of seed and evenly spread it on these areas then roll it into the surface, that way it will be in contact with the soil which means it will have moisture and also it will be harder for the pigeons to peck out you can cover with a germination sheet if you have one but don't leave it on too long 10 days 14 max or it will weaken the grass you already have.

Keep at it boys the season is almost here after a tough year for groundsmen.
Hodgy 

No comments:

Post a Comment