Monday 3 September 2012

A Delivery to New Rover

Keith Boyce the groundsman at New Rover Cricket Club ordered some seed and fertiliser from me, so last Wednesday I loaded up and set off to deliver. I could see some black clouds gathering to the west so got my foot down to get there as fast as I could and it is a good job I did for we had just unloaded when this happened.
 A thunderstorm within 5minutes the field was flooded and I know that my pitch for the seconds at the weekend was not covered bugger! -although it rained so hard that it would have run under any way.

This was about 4-30pm the sun came out later that evening.

Not sure why I have uploaded this but it is Kirkstall on the day after the thunder storm. Ho! yes I remember it was to show the standing water on the square..... well I could see it even if the camera couldn't -by the way its my phone camera it take quite good photos.

Back to the seed trials I had left the grass to grow for a while and it is interesting to see the different growth rates Topgun which I have included in my mix this season is more compact with fine leaves. In this photo it looks a little on the yellow side but in fact it is almost a blue green. Since this photo was taken I have cut all of them down quite severely so as to put the plants under stress I want to see the recovery -in a small way it is replicating cutting a Cricket pitch down. They were all sown on the 6th of July and are growing in clay loam.

These were my New boots for the New Year -if you have been following the blog- time to get some new one as "The Hole in My Shoe is letting in water" -how many of you remember the song by Traffic its a good tune try it
 linkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZNqRceUOP0&feature=player_detailpage

 Friday come along and I have to get the ground ready for the 2nds on Saturday the outfield was covered in a very heavy dew and worm casts so I had to get the tractor mounted brush out and brush it all.

 As time was rolling on and the ground was very wet I thought I would be better cut with the gangs the mastiff would have just got stuck in some areas. Now I know its not ideal mowing in such wet conditions but what can you do just leave it had I have taken that approach this Summer, I would rarely have got it cut.
 Just off the playing area at the bottom of ground outside the drains.

This is on the field of play not sure if the umpires noticed it or not on Saturday.
 Just as I was finishing off it started to rain so I pulled on the small sheet I can manage that with easy.

 Looking back before I leave.

 Not so bad.

By the time I went home things didn't look too bad and I was happy I had done all I could.
***
Today Monday I made a late start on the pitch for the first team this weekend, I would normally have started Thursday last week but thing were just too wetI will try post that tomorrow night.
Hodgy

No comments:

Post a Comment