Sunday 2 September 2012

Catch Up

Since my last post I have staged three games two league and the Presidents Day match which is always staged on August Bank Holiday Sunday. I have helped a colleague out by cutting his outfield, attended a meeting of the West Yorkshire Branch of the IOG and carried out all sorts of odd jobs.

 This is East Leeds where I help a friend out by cutting the outfield.

 I have few memories of this ground, one is being hit for three six's in an over clearing the sight screen into what was then the abattoir. Which reminds me I have seen sheep grazing the outfield, not a bad way of keeping the grass in check over the winter months free fertiliser too.
I also remember a helping to relay the square where we cut the turf off with a turf cutter and reinstated with fresh loam getting rid of a big thatch problem they had at the time. This was before the days of the Koro machine, when we had to hump the cut turf to the boundary for disposal, a lot of hard work that was but I was a lot younger then. I understand from Mark the groundsman that the pitches are playing well which is good to hear.

Presidents day is a day when the dress code is suits. We play a timed game starting at around 11-00am a Presidents side against a Kirkstall side. The above show the guys on arrival for bacon butty's prior to the start.
 The Kirkstall twelve.

 The Presidents ten (players still to arrive) in this team we had two guys who had returned to England from Australia specially a big shout for Chris Stevenson (back row second from right) and Kenny Bowie (far left front row) Thanks for coming guys good to see you.

the Skippers at the toss.

Its a fun day fall all, here is Jos with his newly fashioned umpires pose.

We have a tradition of having a moment or two's reflection and a shot of Sambuca before the game starts.
Here I am after preparing the ground/pitch proposing the toast cheers!

I will try post more tomorrow its bed time now busy week coming up.
Hodgy

No comments:

Post a Comment