Saturday 24 August 2013

Birtwhistle Cup Final

Last Friday was spent preparing the ground for the Saturday second team game with an eye on the cup final on Sunday. So I cut the outfield in one direction the plan was to cut it in the other direction on Saturday night after the seconds had completed their game. The weather made that impossible though with a lot of rain falling on Saturday afternoon and night.



Friday afternoon and in to the night we assembled our benches newly acquired from the 
Caird Bardon Community Program. 
We had a host of guys down working on the assembly line thanks to all. The picture above was taken at about 8-00 at night with Steven our overseas looking rather tired -all that brain power working out the instructions.

Saturday morning shortly after arriving at the ground sheets off ready for a cut and a roll.



Saturday after cut and roll.

It has taken me almost a week to get this post together so it may be a little out of sequence.
On Friday I re painted the club logo on the outfield.


Above show the ground on my arrival Sunday at 6-00 am Paul one of the club members who had been responsible for the new electronic score board had put up a new club logo on the score box just to give it the finishing touch.
Well done Paul looks good.

This is what I found when I removed the sheets. The second team was at home on Saturday and I was assured that it was fine for me to go watch the ones which is what I normally do.
On reflection I should have stayed at Kirkstall.
Lesson learnt.

The rectangle shape you can see is where the carpet was covering the pitch to protect it while they played and as you can see it is very wet outside that area. I cant believe with a Cup Final the following day that the umpires couldn't be a bit more understanding.
My colleague Henry who is Farsley's Groundsman has got the whole of the day before the Priestley Cup Final -Bradford League Final- as the League has granted permission to rearrange the Saturday game.
At last some assistance given to the groundsman. 
Well done the Bradford League.
Rant over.
After rolling the sheet back I got the blower out and left it blowing away while I went off and got on with other tasks.

Typical best match day stumps left out under the sheets to get wet and muddy they had to be sanded down to make the respectable for the match.

Things being as wet as they were I brushed the square with the hand brush mounted the 6 foot brush to the tractor and double brushed the out field.
Sorry no picture too stressed at this time to think about the camera.

The sun came out and on time at 2-00pm the match started.
Just hope it plays well.

We had a good crowd two well supported teams I was happy with the presentation of the ground and the pitch which played well despite a low score by Otley  they posted only 133 and Guiseley knocked the off with easy.
 Game over, long shadows of the evening sun.


The pitch post match hardly a mark on it.
Long day time for a pint.
Chilling in the bar.
I must just say a very big thank you to all who helped on the day. We had a lot of key people away but those who were there on the day pulled off a minor miracle.
Thank you all and well done.
Wet Saturday morning off down to ground now to see what I can do.
Hodgy

No comments:

Post a Comment