Wednesday 26 October 2011

Brush trials

If you read the top of this blog you will see that I am a part time groundsman, one other thing I am involved with is the design, manufacture and sales of turf brushes. Today my colleagues Phil the brush maker Brushes North West and Walter the fabricator came to my ground so we could do some trials on a new brush system we are developing. The photos here record the sort of things we got up to.

Walter fiddling with a chain. Here the system is fastened to the tractors 3 point linkage via an "A" frame.


You can clearly see the "A" frame here.


View from back of tractor.


Frame lifted of the ground via 3 point linkage for turning.


Phil from Brushes North West getting a close up..... heavy dew this morning after last nights thunder storm.


Now you can see we are pulling the frame with a chain so this unit can be pulled by almost any mode of transport. We had feared that we might get some bounce but having done previous tests we got the bristles in the brush and the angle of of pulling right and it worked very very well indeed we almost surprised ourselves.


A contented Walter


 After avisit with Phil to the engineers merchants I returned to the ground by which time it was late in the afternoon, so I had a look round for job I could take on in the limited time I had left.
 The net area needed a cut so I got the rotary out and topped it while doing so I noticed how yellow it was looking, that indicated to me that it was time to for a feed the last time was when it was seeded on the
3rd September. 



Good thick cover spoilt by the yellowing


Time for the Autumn Winter fertiliser,just 3% nitrogen.



Look how yellow it really is. Application rate around 1 oz/sq yrd. On completion of this job it was about time for home I took a few photos of some grass I am growing it plastic containers to get a comparison and try to find out which will best suit my needs in the future I will post some photos on a rainy day.
No post tomorrow I will be painting.


2 comments:

  1. Showing your age there Hodgy, I'll have to look up how much an ounce is and how big a yard is in new money ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We old uns have to know both you young uns get away with knowing only one and I cant remember what I had for breakfast so some things just aren't fair in life

    ReplyDelete