Tuesday 18 October 2011

First post

Here we go with my new venture a groundsmans blog.

A little background I don't want this blog to be all words rather a visual one.
I am Groundsman at Kirkstall Educational Cricket Club, Leeds and have been for a lot of years now.  A member of the Institute of Groundsmanship (IOG) and Vice Chair of the Yorkshire Cricket Board Groundsmans Association (YCBGA). Heck already into all these acronyms I so dislike! Apart from being a practising groundsman I also undertake groundwork for other clubs and supply grass seed, fertiliser, loam, along with various other bits and bobs, more will be revealed as the blog develops.


This is a view of my square yesterday it was seeded on the  21st September and overseeded on the 6th October. It still has some weak areas at the ends where the pitches were very worn (we have about a hundred game a season on an eleven pitch square). Today  I have mown with my rotary machine about six of the pitches I did not do it all because I did not want to pick up loam from the weaker areas.




 Yesterday I mowed and spiked the net area, this was seeded and top dressed on September 3rd. It is in a cold wet shady part of the ground and if I don't get an early start in the autumn I get poor grass cover and it struggles all winter long, The shade from trees and the sight screen make the area slow to warm up in the spring time.

No comments:

Post a Comment