Tuesday 15 November 2011

On my Travels

Today I have been to a local club to spike their square below are some photos
This is the square on arrival.

Lots of worm casts the problem here is that they are bringing poor soil to the surface and upsetting the levels that need to be maintained I recommended that they get this problem sorted out sooner rather that later.


I got a little lifting in one or two areas just on one end of the square. I understand nothing like last autumn when they used an old Patterson drum spiker, it rolled the lot up.



Some parts were a little short of grass and moss was getting in, They need to concentrate on grass growth maybe over seeding weak areas a couple of weeks after the main autumn work/seeding its hard for moss to get hold where there is a good cover of grass.

Back at my ground sun shining -what a difference that makes- square brushed in both direction. A happy grumpy old groundsman. Is that a contradiction in terms?

Even the weak ends are beginning to fill in now thanks to the over seeding completed a while ago.

Fruits of my labours apples from surrounding trees, mushrooms from compost heap . If I had time for a cooked breakfast these big boys would be on my plate in the morning. Talking about tomorrow Wednesday I will be at Cleckheaton for a continued professional development (CPD) day for pitch adviser's. Health and Safety morning, "Soil sampling" and "Managing newly constructed squares" in the afternoon with Paul Bannister and Alan Lewis respectively. So may be no update Wednesday or Thursday as that's a Painting day. 
Finally I am not sure if anyone is reading this blog I have only had a few comments however it has been on line for around a month now and today it has acheived 500 visits worth the effort? You tell me?

6 comments:

  1. a good read everyday hodgy, keep up the good work.....phil@bnw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Hodgy, love the pics too. RT Tunga, Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent insight, some different issues highlighted from the grounds in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Phil, Riki and and Anonymous in Oz pleased to hear you are are reading my ramblings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hodgy, can you please clarify- should I walk down, or up, a light stripe? RT Tunga.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And that is after all I taught you!

    ReplyDelete