Saturday 5 November 2011

Recycled Sight Screens

A local club purchased new sight screens and their old ones were heading for the scrap man, so in lieu of some work I was able to secure them for my club. However transport was for me to sort out, as you can imagine welded screens take some moving. I had to arrange for them to be sawn in half so as to fit them on the wagon.
I took the opportunity to reduce their height as they are due to be used at the top of the ground and have no need to be so high this has the advantage of making them more stable.


We shortened the top frame and faced up the cut hollow section of the base.


Re welding the shortened top frame.

Club cricket grounds look sad places in the winter and people always ask me what I do at this time of year. Well as you can see from the photo I have plenty of work to be going on with. All the leaves need collecting , I want to continue with spiking of the outfield to get some air exchange and hopefully get some root growth. It also needs cutting as soon as I can get on, we have had a lot of rain here in Leeds over the last few days. I think the net area at the back of the score box is ready for spiking for a second time but this is a very wet area and I will have to choose the right day.


On Monday next we have eight volunteers from BTcoming down to the club to help out so tomorrow I will be off to the DIY shop to get paint, rollers, brushes, etc. So they can paint our changing rooms for us that should be a good leg up for us, as asking some cricketers to help out is like asking for their life.

I went up to Scotsturf last Wednesday it is a small exhibition, however I find that exhibitors have just that much more time to spend with you and explain the products in a bit more detail. I think it is important to attend such things so you can see for yourself what is available, whats new catch up with some old friends and do some networking.  Most of all you can look at lots the new machines in all their glory and dream!!!!  if only I have got those numbers for tonight's Lotto draw at least I know I what to buy.
Still a lot of leaves to fall

No comments:

Post a Comment