Monday 12 December 2011

"On The Road Again"

Sorry no post for a day or two the weather here in Leeds has been very wet. With bad weather forecast overnight Monday and Tuesday and gale force sometime Friday I thought I would get on with what I could. Pudsey Congs had asked me to spike their square so I gave them a call they got back to me just after 
10-00am this morning and said things were a little wet but should be OK, so off I went. 

Wanted to show this photo so you can see how little light gets to the net area in the winter months this was taken at 10-45 this morning.



All loaded and ready for off. Got every thing?


Just started you can see it is a little wet -it looks worse because there are some worm casts especially at the ends.

You can see the muddy mess it is making where the worm casts are.

Am I sad taking pictures of spiker tracks through a load of worm casts?

In fairness the worm casts are just at the ends here you can see the middle of the square I spiked it lenghtways across the square no stump to stump.


Liking the new Football changing rooms at Pool
This is the square at Pool looking a little short of nutrients apart from that it look in very good condition no worms, no moss and a good covering of grass also surprisingly dry. This is the square that we had Korred and it has done remarkably well over this favourable Autumn. I am sure I put a post up about the Pool work but I cant find it now I must have deleted it by mistake, how did I do that?

No muddy wheel/worm cast marks here.
Two squares spiked before the weather turns. Nice!

It is good to see a club invest it its grass facility and Pool certainly have done that this Autumn. They have also had their outfield Verti-Drained and it is already paying off, as it is significantly dryer that it has been, even after all the recent rain. Well done Pool!

The 1" dia -25mm- tines go down around 16" then the machine applies heave, which if the conditions are right will have the effect of creating fissures in the profile allowing air exchange,  increasing drainage capacity and de-compacting the surface. All this will benefit grass growth. I need to see if we cant get this done down at my club. Treasurer be aware!
It is now 8-00pm and the rain has started I don't see much more in the way of ground work this week but you never know, I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment