Monday 13 February 2012

Keep off the Grass

At last, just about all the snow has gone, so after some jobs at home and collecting a bag of grass seed for Rod Heyhoe. I was eager to get to work on the field. Plan get the tractor out and fit the slitter and get some air into the outfield.

The Health and Safety Officer wont be impressed -no guard. There is only me at the ground and I am very aware of the dangers. 

Here you can see a tractor track and -if you enlarge you can see a slit- the conditions were on the wet side at the bottom end of the ground but fine at the top I was thinking.


You can see some slits here along with some pieces it has lifted out -where the roots are shallow. Slitting should help getting the roots down, so it is a matter of having to put up with it for now. 


I got the west side of the square completed and moved over to the east side it was very wet the wheels bringing water up. I continued without turning the field black, however the blades were only penetration about 2". When I completed I was not totally happy because of the lack of depth and thought I would be better if I got the pedestrian Groundsman spiker out.  


Every thing was going well apart from a few stones I was hitting until Bang! Bang! what the heck had I hit?
by the time I had got over the bouncing and regained control of the spiker I had bent many tines. Bugger!

You may recall these were new tines been used once only -oh dear.


These are the 4 bent tines I had to replace with some spare ones I had.
After I replaced the tines it was around 4-30pm so I took a few more photos which I will show on a wet day when I am struggling for material.
On reflection I think today was a day when may be I should have just kept off the grass but I was frustrated after a week of no action and some times you just have to make things happen I probably got it wrong today.




No comments:

Post a Comment