Tuesday 14 February 2012

A Post for the Groundmen Followers of this Blog.

Below are some photos of some photos of some sample I grew in plastic beer pots they were sown back in June last year -or was it July matter not. 
On the right is Colosseum which is a cold season Perennial Rye grass and on the left is the best mix I had made up for cricket squares 40% Cachmire 30% Sauvignon  30% Carnac you can make up your own mind about fineness of leaf etc.
They look better when you enlarge the photo.



For me the real interesting thing about the above photos is the amount of dead material that they have both produced, in a relatively short period of time. The one thing I see more than any other when I visit cricket grounds is thatch and those dead leaves you see are what thatch is made up from. This illustrates the need to rake out your pitches in the spring time.  (And I mean rake not scarify we don't want to cut in to the surface and create line of weakness that will open out in to a crack when we dry out our pitch.) You will find it hard to get all this out by raking you square as a whole unless you have some kind of machine rake or power brush -the Sisis Auto Rota Rake with the brush fit is an ideal tool for this. If you have the one but no brush I strongly recommend you get the brush attachment they are available complete from Brushes North West at a fraction of the Sisis price and the quality is excellent I know through experience.
Keep your surface clean!


More fibre and the square yesterday -Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment