Tuesday 5 June 2012

Bank Holiday Monday- A Good Day for Rolling

Bank holiday Sunday it rained just about all day in Leeds stopping over night the ground conditions were ideal for rolling. I rolled three pitches, Wednesdays Uni, a practise one and Saturday's 2nd team one all in all around two hours rolling. 


  On my arrival sunny but still cold.

After rolling I got the Sisis, Rota-Rake out and verti-groomed three pitches in the middle of the square it is a long while since I have had chance to do it so I took advantage of a dry day and got to work.
Above you can see the the Verti-Groom blades I had just fit ready for the job.

Look closely and the light areas are rye grass crowns which had survived from last season and were beginning to flower -seed- they look just awful. I had been cutting the square at 18mm through out the spring in order to give it some protection from all the traffic it has to cope with. I think that it has allowed the rye grass to mature and get course- it is a case of "not being right for being wrong".

Above is a patch of annual meadow grass -Poa Annua- which is a weed grass -very shallow rooted- and seeds 12 months a year

Above a Rye Grass crown.

Looking across the square at the three pitches I had groomed.

This is the end of the pitch I will use for the two's on Saturday I have some blocks to put in first -Why do cricketers dig such a deep block hole? and why do wicket keepers scratch a line back from off stump, anyone?

Bank holiday Monday and a lot of planes in and out of Leeds Bradford airport.



I completed my days work by applying a bag of 11-5-5 fertiliser and some "Greenmaster Blade" to 4 pitches I have not used this product before and wanted to try it, so I only treated the 4 then I can compare.
The forecast is for unsettled week so I think the fertiliser will was in OK.
Hodgy

  

2 comments:

  1. The line from off stump is apparently a bad 'keepers' trick so they know where to put their foot for the ones that barely feather off stump. They shut their eyes while it just hits them...

    Si E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Si, not sure the keepers would agree with the "bad" bit.
      Hodgy

      Delete