Monday 15 April 2013

All of a Sudden Things Look Greener

As you will be aware I have not spent much time on the ground over the past six days, so as i get back involved all of a sudden things are a lot greener. Not sure what the temperature was but I have been working in my T shirt today and it felt pleasant.
I have been preparing the practice pitch which is for our boys tomorrow and the Uni Wednesday and Thursday.
When I got it cut and raked out I was not happy that it would last. There were one or two scars in it and as I never got it scarified last Autumn due to the weather there is a little thatch. not sure you can see from the pictures below.

Here I have raked, brushed, mowed and given a light roll.

I was just not happy with some areas, so I made the decisions to glue it with PVA  in hope that it will hold the ball pitching areas together.

Standard  5 litre PVA glue mixed with 10 litres water it must be premixed before you put it in the sprayer or it will clog every thing up pump, filters, nozzle the lot.



First mix ready to go in the CP15 Sprayer


Standard CP15 Cooper Pegler sprayer all full and ready for applying to pitch.

Here is a view of the pitch with the area on the left already sprayed -you guys looking at this on your smart phones may not see the contrast.

The whole pitch after spraying and a little drying time.
I then rolled the pitch fro about 3/4 hour or so.


Rolling.


Close up of the finished product I am a little happier now at lease I have done all I can.
I have just shown you how I glue a pitch I am by no means suggesting that you all go away and do this to your pitches. If you have not done this before I would seek advise from some one who is familiar with the process.
When I had finished gluing I immediately Cleaned the Sprayer out thoroughly with clean water.
+
+
After the pitch work I mowed the square in two directions.












I went off home about 7-15 I had been late down to the ground as I had been to Wetherby and York in the morning collecting and delivering goods.
+
Tomorrow I hope to get the outfield cut. 
Could be a few spots of rain overnight, a good day tomorrow and some more rain on Wednesday, then I think it is fair for a few days including the weekend.

Not yet seen my first Swallow must be arriving very soon now.
Hodgy

No comments:

Post a Comment