Sunday 7 April 2013

IOG Cricket Groundsmas Training Course

Last Thursday the 4th April I hosted the IOG Cricket Groundsman's Course at Kirkstall. 
We had 25 registered 21 actually arrived, Candidates from as far afield as Glasgow and Nottingham along with more local guys enjoyed a sunny yet very cold day for this practical Course.
Ian Brewster was the IOG tutor David Robinson IOG director was acting as Catering Manager and Rod Heyhoe was along till lunch time assisting in various jobs.
The YCB were represented by Ian Powell who had the definitive register of candidates.

I like to be at the ground in good time on such days and arrived at 7-00 am the photo below is of the ground when I got there.

After the introductions they are split up into two groups I go show half how to look after/set the mowing machine while Ian takes the others to the square and talks about that taking sores out etc.


By it was cold.

Ian talking about the core he had just taken out.
Setting out the square using the old 3-4-5 triangle that some old Greek guy called Pythagoras worked out in the sixth century B.C. It is after this that I get told my square isn't square but I understand it got the nod of approval it wasn't all that fare out.
It is then on to identifying and mowing the pitch.
Cant beat a Palladin for the pitch in my mind.
 After a lot of raking brushing and mowing we got it marked out.
Some where on this laptop I have some more photos that David Robinson sent me as attachments but I have just spent ten minutes and I cant find the I thought computers were supposed to save time.
Some time I just want to be a Luddite.
Cricketforce this weekend I hope it is going well for you all and your facilities are refreshed and ready for the season.

It is a lot milder in Leeds this morning lets hope it is the turning point and well all have a good Summer.
Time to fertilise?
Hodgy


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete