Wednesday 3 April 2013

More Rolling

Well I had a knackered battery on my tractor yesterday so first job was to get it off and get a new one. 
I also collected some Fertiliser and Weed Feed and Moss Killer from the yard while I was out and about.
On my return I had a visit from one of the candidates for tomorrows IOG Cricket Groundsman's Course just on a reconnaissance mission and a further two visitors so by the time I got the battery fit it was about lunch time.
I then rolled some selected pitches -one that I will be using sooner rather than later- for around four hours.



Yet again we had a heavy frost this is the square before rolling this morning.

The grass really needs some warmth it is pointless putting fertiliser on when it is so cold the plat will not take it up when it is not growing.
When I had had enough of the roller I got the tractor mounted rake out and raked the square in order to try and lift some laterals and pull out any weak plants.
I then mowed in two directions before brushing with the mounted brush and re-mowing.
The books say you should lightly scarify well I don't agree you should either groom or rake and not scar the surface as you would if you scarified.
We don't want to create weak flaw line that will crack when it dries out- dries out! I hear you saying  yes dries out as it will. see the photo below.

One week ago this was under snow 5 days ago it was under water look at it now cracked I know there is no grass there so no roots to hold it together but it just goes to show how quick things can change.
A week ago the League were thinking of re-arranging the first game for later in the season I think they will be happier now after ten fine days.




I have a ring drain around my square and I like to make sure that the surface is linked to the drain so I keep it open by periodically spiking over the top of it and that was the last job I did today.
I feel that I have made reasonable progress in the last six days lets hope it continues.
Just listen to this the local weather man is predicting 12 degrees next week Yes! double figures when was the last time we saw those?





Long shadows after a long day, it will be another long day tomorrow we have 24, yes Twenty Four Groundsman coming on a training day.
Alarm set for 6 o clock at ground for 6-45.
Off to bed now
Keep at it while you can. 
Hodgy

No comments:

Post a Comment