Friday 9 March 2012

Getting Busy

Things are getting busy now especially as I have taken the extra work of the toilets on, I have my art exhibition coming up and getting the ground ready for the season. Hence no posts for a few days. Wednesday was the day my fertiliser was delivered so I made some deliveries and some guys came and collected theirs.

Part of the fertiliser in the container two more pallets to go in yet.


One delivery I had to make was up to Nidderdale I don't make much -if any- profit on it but it is a very nice ride out in some beautiful country side -I love it. Here you can see the "Golf Balls" at Menwith Hill.


From the same spot you can also see a wind turbine farm. Thursday was a day of varnishing some of my paintings and sorting out others to be mounted.


After making a few deliveries I still had some daylight left to apply some fertiliser to my square. I used 11-5-5 Spring and Summer and applied one bag to my square which is around half recommended rate I don't want too lush growth just yet we may still have some frost.

The next three photos are of different grass seeds I sowed in Boughton County Loam on the 15th Feb and the photos were taken on Wednesday the 7th March. Below each photo I will give a brief description.
I have enlarged these picture so you can better see the results.
100% Straight Colosseum from Harrell's, decent germination.


100% Straight Top Gun from Hurrell's
 -it is an American Dwarf Rye that I am having a look at, it is not listed by the STRI but I think it has potential, so I want to see what it is like before I decided whether or not to include it in a mix.  
Good germination.

This is Johnson's (DLF) iSeed.
 Now this is interesting almost no germination has taken place. It is my theory that because the seed is treated with a coating of fertiliser it takes longer for the seed to absorb the moisture thereby delaying germination by a few days.

Wednesday night I was back at Cleckheaton C C to listen to Dr. Ian James of Cranfield University deliver his talk on Aeration of Cricket Squares. The full report is out in around two months and will be published on the ECB web-site so I wont bore you with details now, it was both interesting and educational.
Thank you Ian.

Today I got the old Mastiff out and cut the square in two directions and was aiming to get the outfield cut until the rain came and put an end to proceedings after I had cut from just one side of the square to the outfield. so I went home and got some invoices entered and printed off -note to me I must keep up to invoicing or I run out of cash!
Tomorrow I am off down to Pool C C to brush/rake the square in a hope to lift the laterals so we can get a good clean cut.

2 comments:

  1. hodgy please dont change your invoicing policy i like it just the way it is. Did you leave the trial pots to the elements or have you been watering them to get the germination?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Mark invoice policy will have to change or I will have the bailiffs in.
      I watered all the pots when I sowed as I was using dry loam that had been in storage and I have given them all splash of water on just two other occasions as you might with any plant in a pot.
      It is my thought that the iSeed with the fert coating will catch up and may well overtake the other two as the plant takes up the feed. We will see.

      Delete