Saturday 10 March 2012

Spring Like

I went down to Pool this morning and brushed square with a "rake brush" fixed to back of tractor. The idea was to lift the grass to present it better for mowing and to tease out  bits of rubbish from the base -you could call it a light spring raking. Clive the groundsman there then followed on with the mower I brush twice and Clive mowed twice at right angles. He has since informed me that they had started rolling later in the day.
Sorry I forgot to take any photos.

On returning to Kirkstall I finished off the mowing of the outfield from when I was rained off yesterday. I then ran the mower over the square again and went on to cut the grass net area using the Mastiff instead of the rotary that I have been using till now, apart from the obvious mowing, the weight of the Mastiff pushes the soil down giving it a light roll.  


There was just enough daylight left to treat the square with liquid iron and seaweed I us the Acuspray walkover spray unit it is miles better than any Knapsack sprayer.
 
Here are the two products I use, thinking I will need to order some more as I am getting low. I try to treat the square in this way about every six weeks or so I don't always include the liquid iron though.
 
This is the net area
 It was half past six and dark when I set off home but it had been a beautiful spring like day, one which makes me think how lucky I am to be a Groundsman.
I am looking forward to getting the roller out tomorrow I have just had an email from Boycey (Kieth Boyce Ex Headingley groundsman) and he told me that he is well into his rolling program and wants some fertiliser for when he finishes the job one day next week. 

You can only spring roll when the conditions are right don't miss the window.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment