Tuesday 10 January 2012

No Prizes

No prize for guessing what Ive been doing today -yes more spiking. Today it was at Wilsden high up above the Aire valley almost in Bronte Country or maybe it is in Bronte Country. I have been working at Wilsden now for about 7or 8 years and every time I go I can tell you it is an overcoat colder then down in the valley and it didn't let me down today. 

Looks bleak doesn't it?

Just got the spiking machine out to the middle.

Look how long the outfield has got. I understand from Raymond the groundsman that it has been very wet in these parts -so with only volunteers to do the job- if there has not been a dry weekend when he is available it doesn't get done. I am sure that it is the same with many a local club -too much to do by too few.

The clubhouse and scorebox.

Getting on with the job.
This is why you should not leave a germination sheet on too long. It pulls the grass elongating it and making it week so when you take the sheet off it cant survive the harsh conditions so turns tail and dies. This area will not grow back without reseeding so Raymond put some seed down the spike holes I had just made it has more chance of growing there than it has in the bag. If some of it grows out of the spike holes -and I think there is a fair chance it will- then you have started your repairs and given an further new seedlings some protection. I think the best thing from here is to roll some more seed into the surface when spring rolling. That way it will be in contact with the soil for moisture and harder for the birds to peck out I have done this in February in the past and it germinated so all is not lost.

Here is a close up of the area I forgot to say it is on the shortened junior pitch at the edge of the square.

Looking over the road and across to the other side of the Aire Valley.
Tomorrow I hope to get some work done on my ground maybe a change from the old spiking routine looking at the forecast it looks like we are going to get some rain overnight so lets hope things are not too wet when I get down to the ground.


No comments:

Post a Comment