Tuesday 24 April 2012

Still Very Wet

Despite it not raining today I still had standing water on the square this evening. We actually saw some sun today however the forecast is for heavy rain tomorrow then sunny spells and heavy showers for rest of week.


Got down to ground mid morning to meet a couple of people but everywhere was still very very wet.
So I mowed the net area surrounds thinking I would mow the pitches with the Mastiff but they were too wet for that, so I used the rotary on them too.





Nets in bright late afternoon sunlight.
 Senior training was called off due to wet outfield.





The square has not been cut for eight full days now and is getting very long as the fertiliser applied a couple of weeks ago is still active.

 Some drying of the square had taken place over the day so myself, Jos1st -team Skipper- and his brother Andy -Cricket Chair- had a discussion as to what the best way forward would be, to try get the 1st teams weekend game on. We decided to cover the used pitch I had thinking that with little preparation time likely to be available, that would be the pitch to try play on. Prior to Saturday I have Leeds Met on Friday who will have to use that same pitch if they are able to play at all and the juniors on Friday night.
Its a nightmare!
Hodgy


7 comments:

  1. Know what you mean, Dave. Been down at the club tonight for our ground and club inspection with the league. The lads practised with sawdust down (OMG)!! Tried to start preparing the 1st team track for Saturday, so wet!! Cut and rolled it, but daredn't rake it.
    What do we do? What do you suggest?
    Regards,
    Jonnie Ross (HHPCC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems a long time since you were worried about the Treasurer noticing that you were getting the hosepipe out in March!!! Bloody weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggest you try get the players to understand just how wet and difficult it is at the moment Jon. I know it's not easy as you are a lone voice -you need some support from the committee- it is very hard as of course all the players want is to play. Keep battling away and dont give up.

    Rashers
    Yes March seems a very long time ago now -with all this water about following the laws of supply and demand will or water rates be reduced? #justathought
    Hodgy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I was a bit luckier than you yesterday, thankfully BR drains fairly well so I managed to brush and cut the U13s for Friday, rake cut and roll for the 2nd team on Saturday and recover the previous weeks pitch a little bit. Also got the square cut.

    I agree its about letting the players know the efforts we go to and they get the best we can produce in the conditions.

    Peter
    BRCC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luck man Peter.
      My square not been cut since Monday before the groundsmans course at Kirkstall and no preparation work either. All I have be able to do is cut the outfield and I was pushing it to do that.
      Oh well been looking at new kitchens with my wife Anne today I hope that earns some Brownie Points -but I am sure it won't.
      Just can't win.
      Hodgy

      Delete
  5. Come on Hodgy, you know you can't earn Brownie points! Only lose them...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rasher you of course are right but I was just dreaming like am about the sun shinning. Hodgy

    ReplyDelete