Monday 14 May 2012

Almost a Full Day at the Ground

Monday morning and  no rain, a little on the cold side with a stiff breeze.  I was able to get down to ground at about 9-30 and make a start on a pitch I had cut and given a first rake about three weeks ago.


 The ground on arrival looking a little on the scruffy side, having not been cut for a week due to the weather.






I raked and cut this pitch 4 times then brushed and cut three times to get it looking like this. It was firming up all day long.
I had a telephone call from my friend Martin Crompton who holds the franchise for Total Weed Control -he does just about all my spraying- he had just been spraying the outfield at Pudsey St Lawrence and wanted to come I get mine done, as I had asked him one day last week. Sadly when he got to the ground the wind got up and was too windy for spraying, so it will have to wait for another day. We had a coffee and a good catch up on this and that -while I am working on my own I never stop for a break I get my lunch on the hoof as it were- so it was good to have a half hour for a change.

Taken aback by the prospect of a fair day I got a little giddy and took the top off and raked out a second pitch, thinking I would try get ahead of the game instead of chasing it as I have been the last three weeks. That job completed I cut the square.

I have been thinking for some time that the square was in need of verti-grooming or raking as when I come to pitch preparation they are taking that much raking and brushing. If I could only get the square as a whole raked it would help reduce preparation time. So I got the tractor mounted rake out and gave it a good rake following on with the Mastiff to mow and collect the rubbish.
I also got a text from the Joe one of the 1st team who used to help with Autumn work as a result he came down and did some rolling for me and he took some of the photos.
Thank you Joe.

Here you can see me on the tractor with the rake fit to the back, it made a good job. I intend to rake the whole outfield just as soon as time permits.

I was blessed today both the Joe's who play at the club turned up so Joe Brown alias Mad Dog cut the peripheral grass you can see him above.

By the time Joe had done some rolling the pitch was firming up nicely. Looking at the radar we may have a shower tomorrow morning but I don't think it will be much so I would like to get an second day in at the ground and get a practise pitch ready for the Tuesday night senior training session.

 I didn't get a photo of Joe rolling but this is the best I can do Joe took this one of the Animal our roller which he sat on for an hour or so.
Hodgy

No comments:

Post a Comment