Friday 11 May 2012

Horsforth Hall Park

I got down to ground in good time this morning about 7-30 as I had potentially two outfields to cut as well as my own and three pitches to prepare. Busy day.

When I arrived my first job was to get the sheets off, as it was fair and they had been on since Wednesday. Below is what I found.





Run under and off the bottom on to run ups so the only thing I could do was to let some air get at it. I then had to potentially go to Rawdon and Horsforth Hall Park to cut the outfields. After a couple of texts and phone calls it was decided that I would miss Rawdon and just go up to Hall Park.



 After aquaplaning across a puddle when I got on to the field it was surprisingly dry.

It was absolutely freezing while I was mowing -colder than Christmas- and I was just thinking
What am I doing here?
When it came very dark and the heavens opened -I don't know what we groundsmen have done to upset the gods but it must be pretty serious.

So it was back to Kirkstall where I had Fish and Chips for lunch from Midgely's  Nice!-comfort food, that's why I have got so fat this spring. Andy the plumber came to sort out some heating problems and while I was with him Simon Hardcastle from Everris arrived. Andy sorted Simon an I had a cup of coffee and a good long chat about grass seed, fertiliser, Promo-Maxx while it rained some more.
As it was too wet to work on the field I felt little inspiration to start cutting the peripheral grass so went off home for a cat-nap.
4-00pm saw me back at ground and the cancellation of the U13 game due to take place in the evening.
It is looking like I will have to play the seconds on the U15 pitch as it is the driest on the square then after the game the players will have to sweep roll and remark for the for Sunday mornings U 15 game.


Just to end my working day the rain started again, so off I went home knowing that an early start would be required Saturday as the forecast is wall to wall sun shine.
Continuing on the comfort food train of thought I called at  Salisbury's supermarket on the way home and bought some English Strawberries. 
Strawberries and Cream after tea dreaming of the English Summer Time.
Nice!
Hodgy 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your help in cutting the outfield today again, Dave, and thanks for the pictures. I, like you, will be up early to try and prepare a wicket for the 1st team tomorrow. Guess the players will wonder what all the fuss has been about when they get there, but we can only do our best in these conditions and try to educate them in what we are trying to do to get them a game when the elements through the week are against us. Regards. John Ross (HHPCC).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hall Park outfield is looking in good nick after its trim this week, best it has looked for some time. Thanks Dave for perseveering despite the weather! Mark Shaw (HHPCC Secretary)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark and Jon thanks for your kind comments, it is always nice when your efforts are appreciated. I hope you get the insurance claim sorted out and life at Hall Park will be back to normal.
    Hodgy

    ReplyDelete