Friday 18 May 2012

Time Flies

I cant believe it was Tuesday when I last updated how time flies Wednesday I went off to Calverley Cricket Club in Victoria Part to cut their outfield as they are having problems with the mower. I went on Wednesday as the forecast was not good for Thursday or Friday so I took advantage of the best day of the week so far.



A few general views of the ground on my arrival at Calverley C. C. -a lovely day no rain and sun shine looks like summer.
Gangs fit to tractor ready for off.


 Job done ready for off to Rawdon to cut their outfield  next. The van in the background is a Parksforce one -Leeds City Council- I find it strange that I am cutting the outfield when Parksforce have more than enough tractors and gangs -I am not complaining just commenting.

Calverleys new'ish score-box -built in the same style as the clubhouse- looks the part. Calverley was looking well for a parks pitch. When I arrived there was a man and a child playing on the square and a lady walked straight across it, I would be very frustrated if it was my ground but to there credit they cope and get on with it. As I am writing these few words I cant help but thinking how good Roundhay Park Oval could be if it were looked after and maintained well as a proper Cricket facility. 

 
Roundhay Park Oval  (Photo : Chemical Engineer)



Rawdon Cricket Club on my arrival.

By the time I got back to Kirkstall the sun had gone for the day.

The practise pitch after training on a damp Tuesday night, just about the only thing I ask the players to do is to sweep after use but they didn't this week I don't know why I will be having a word.

 A crow searching for leather jackets -crane fly larvae- they peck diamond shape holes and leave a mess.
Thursday was grey and damp most of the time I went down to the ground in the morning and went off home at lunch time for a couple of hours  as it started to rain.
Thursday was also the day of our first T20 game against local side Adel, as the day was wet and I had no idea how it would end. I rolled and marked out a wet weather pitch at the edge of the square -it was very very green- in fact the players didn't believe me when I told them which pitch they were on.



 There we go I told you it was green.

There are no more photos as I was busy doing the BBQ and drinking the odd pint of beer. We fielded first  Adel scored I think around 140 and we got them with the last pair at the wicket. not bad for a "Green Un"
Today Friday I have been too busy to take photos, sheets on sheets off, do a bit then rain stopped progress. We had a U 13 game and I needed to sheet -as rain is forecast overnight- and with all the holes in the sheet I felt I needed to be there to try get things right. Lets hope it fairs up for tomorrow. Also this  weekend sees the first round of the cups 1st and 2nd so on Sunday I have an U9 in the morning followed by the 2nd team.
Its now just past ten at night so I will be having a coffee the off to bed. 
Please don't rain.
Sleep tight. 
Hodgy 


2 comments:

  1. You should move to Australia Hodgy, seems to me you would have a much easier life here without all the rain?

    Just a thought!

    Bakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bakes I would love Australia. I am sure but you know what today the sun was out and its been 24 degrees in Leeds today no better place when the sun shines. It is forecast to stay for a while now. Think ill be staying in Leeds a little longer.
    Hodgy

    ReplyDelete